[off-topic] The thrill has gone ....

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sun Mar 2 05:55:49 UTC 2014

On 03/02/2014 09:40 AM, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On 02/03/14 08:47, Richard Meyer wrote:
>
> [snip the waffle ;-) ]
>
>> There are few problems - things Just Work (TM).
>
> Mostly, yes. Developers have done tremendous things with Linux over the
> past decade, to be sure. The trouble is that the notion of the 'old way'
> lingers: having to edit multiple config files, chase down obscure source
> files and install them in the correct order after satisfying numerous
> dependencies just to get your laptop trackpad to work, for example. In
> my experience, in talking to non-believers, that image of "too
> complicated" has seemed to be stuck with Linux for the average computer
> user. There lies your barrier to wide adoption, IMO.
>

>> Has anybody else feel they've lost the fire?
>
> That's just called getting old, Richard ;-)

Me too...  I've slowed significantly.  I recently switched from Gentoo
to Kubuntu, no longer willing to put up with Gentoo's update problems.
I still build my own versions of stuff from time to time, but not so
much now.

How do I reply to an email and have it appear as part of the thread?  If
I click Thunderbird's Reply button, it only wants the reply to go to the
individual that posted the message being replied to, not the list.

70+ and counting,
Jim