[off-topic] The thrill has gone ....

Richard Meyer meyerri at gardenshark.org
Sun Mar 2 06:43:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 13:55 +0800, Jim Householder wrote:
> On 03/02/2014 09:40 AM, Gavin Chester wrote:
> > On 02/03/14 08:47, Richard Meyer wrote:
> >
> > [snip the waffle ;-) ]
> >
> >> There are few problems - things Just Work (TM).
> >
> > Mostly, yes. Developers have done tremendous things with Linux over the
> > past decade, to be sure. The trouble is that the notion of the 'old way'
> > lingers: having to edit multiple config files, chase down obscure source
> > files and install them in the correct order after satisfying numerous
> > dependencies just to get your laptop trackpad to work, for example. In
> > my experience, in talking to non-believers, that image of "too
> > complicated" has seemed to be stuck with Linux for the average computer
> > user. There lies your barrier to wide adoption, IMO.
> >

> >> Has anybody else feel they've lost the fire?
> >
> > That's just called getting old, Richard ;-)
> >
> Me too...  I've slowed significantly.  I recently switched from Gentoo
> to Kubuntu, no longer willing to put up with Gentoo's update problems.
> I still build my own versions of stuff from time to time, but not so
> much now.
>
> How do I reply to an email and have it appear as part of the thread?  If
> I click Thunderbird's Reply button, it only wants the reply to go to the
> individual that posted the message being replied to, not the list.
>
> 70+ and counting,
> Jim

Use Evolution?

Y'know, ten years ago a topic like this would have had people climbing
up the wall.

OK, it's the middle day of a long weekend in Perth, but I expected more
heat than this .....

--
Richard Meyer

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt, 1783

Linux Counter user #306629