[off-topic] The thrill has gone ....

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 23:57:51 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Richard Meyer <meyerri at gardenshark.org>wrote:

> ... or has it?
>
> If you're anything like me, and I admit, few are, you'll have launched
> into the Linux world with evangelical zeal - determined to convert the
> Windows heathens, determined to overcome the drawbacks of OFOS (Our
> Favourite Operating System) and ready to spread the gospel of Free and
> Open Software.
>
> Now I seem to have lost that fire. We seem to have conquered all we are
> going to conquer except for a few lost lambs that we tempt into the
> fold.
>
> There are few problems - things Just Work (TM).
>
> Has anybody else feel they've lost the fire?

The thrill is there, just the priorities are different. We no longer spend
our time mucking around to get things working and when we do, it's usually
a hardware fault (every issue I've fought with over the last 12 months on
linux has been related to hardware).

These days it's a platform for getting things done, as for the most part it
"Just Works". Even this piece of junk iPhone I have at work for testing iOS
stuff (unfortunately have to support them) plugs in and pops up with drive
shares etc.

I'd love for it to become the predominate OS, but we have a big enough
community now that it's no longer an obscure platform. With the likes of
Valve coming on board, we'll see even more devices running Linux.

MS are determined to alienate their user base with weird UI choices and not
everyone is prepared to pay the price premium for a Mac.

Best I do some work, I have some linux servers to tend to :-)

Leon

--
DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

# cat /dev/mem | strings | grep -i cats
Damn, my RAM is full of cats... MEOW!!