[off-topic] google censorship?

1gavinc . gavin.chester at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 02:09:07 UTC 2015

Hi Pluggers,

I know google does some invasive stuff with our gmail, like scanning the
text to send you targeted advertising when you logon to gmail to read it
online. Plus, now it reads your OS and machine type every time you logon
and in the name of 'security' sends you an alert listing logons (eg, sends
an alert to you saying "new logon with safari on ipad", etc).

But, has anyone else noticed how gmail seems to filter the delivery of YOUR
email based on where you logon?

Evidence of this is that sometimes I get a chance to check personal email
during my work breaks using the gmail web interface. However, when I get
home I download gmail using my email client, Thunderbird. ALWAYS, there are
more emails that come through to my client app than I can see on the web
interface even when they pre-date the emails I saw on the web. An extreme
example of this was when I was overseas for a couple of weeks recently,
checking personal email most days from different locations as I traveled. I
was deleting unwanted ones and generally dealing with emails as I traveled.
However, when I got home and loaded email to my client, there was a HUGE
bunch of emails, many more than a week old, that came through that NEVER
showed in my online viewing of email. What gives?

Gavin.