[plug] Vexing faximg

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Aug 2 22:30:14 WST 1998

After many adventures I have achieved this:
I can print in WordPerfect (Linux) or Lostus WordPro (NT ^ presumably
OS/2) to a printer called "fax."

The faxfilter mentioned in the samba docs as being able to extract phone
numbers from print files can't, at least with postscript poduced by these
workdprocessors.

WordPro sends everything out in printable hex.

WordPerfect merely interposes som (perfectly reasonable) punctuation that
I don't feel inclined to awk my way round.

I've modified faxfilter to mail the user that it couldn't find the phone
number: the user's expected to reply, giving the fax number.

I set up a sendmail alias to point to a script: the script runs as
mail:mail so can't access the original print file I've left around so I
changed my mail script to a print script and replaced the mail scriptt to
one that uses a print command to print to FaxRequest that runs my
print-script-that-was-a-mail-script to fax the original postscript file to
the phone number that's provided.

Clear?

It's a little untidy but easy to use (or will be when it works).

The bottom line is that, when I run faxrunq I get this (number changed to
protect the guilty):
processing F000002/JOB...
/usr/sbin/sendfax -v 99999999 f1.g3
Trying fax device '/dev/ttyS0'... OK.
/usr/sbin/sendfax: not a class 2/2.0 fax modem
command exited with status 3

The modem?
Banksia Wave SP 33k6.

What now, kind folks?

I just connected my Motorola Fastalk II (14k4) and it seems to like that
ok (but the other end won't answer).

But I really don't want to have two modems connected to the one phone
line.

(later: Faxing via the Motorola works - sort of. The fax was received, but
there was an error and the end (I think) of transmission).

like my sig!!