[plug] Silly CDrom question.

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Tue Aug 4 12:18:22 WST 1998

I've had this problem in the past and found that nothing short of
power-cycling the CDplayer would fix it. I suspect that manufacturers
don't expect CDplayer to go months without being powered down.

OTOH, there can be alternative causes with real solutions, so here are
some questions that might help track it down.

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> I am at my wits end with this problem.  I have a P166mmx machine where
> the CDrom refuses to mount data CDs.  It will play audio cds without a
> problem.
Are you using software or just hitting the play button on the front, or
both?

> When I place a data cd in the drive bay it will spit it back out at me :(
You mean _before_ you try to mount it?

> If I try to mount that CD "mount -o,ro -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom" it
> spits back at me:
> device not ready or tray open about 60 time then exits.
Is the tray in or out or being pulled in or being ejected at this time?

Is it definitely a normal ATAPI cdrom? Is there an audio CD program
running? Does it only happen with one dataCD? Can you mount something if
you do it soon enough after boot-time? Can you boot from it? (if it's that
sort)

Perhaps we can find a solution,

-Greg