[plug] Silly CDrom question.

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Aug 4 12:50:02 WST 1998

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, The Thought Assassin wrote:

> Are you using software or just hitting the play button on the front, or
> both?

Just software ... "cdplay" that comes standard with RedHat 5.1.

> > When I place a data cd in the drive bay it will spit it back out at me :(
> You mean _before_ you try to mount it?

Yup ...
1) Hit the eject button
2) place CD in tray
3) Hit the eject button
4) Wait
5) Tray opens.

If I do not type the mount command close to stage 4 then phase 5 happens else
it spits . back the message about "drive not ready or tray open".

> > If I try to mount that CD "mount -o,ro -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom" it
> > spits back at me:
> > device not ready or tray open about 60 time then exits.
> Is the tray in or out or being pulled in or being ejected at this time?

The tray is closed before I type the mount command.  Then once it has printed
about 30 "device not ready or tray open"'s it opens and closes the tray.

> Is it definitely a normal ATAPI cdrom? Is there an audio CD program
> running? Does it only happen with one dataCD? Can you mount something if
> you do it soon enough after boot-time? Can you boot from it? (if it's that
> sort)

Yes it is definatly a nomal ATAPI cdrom.  It is plugged into the seconadry
controler and jumpered to slave.  (I Should have said this before BUT it works
from DOS if I boot from a floppy and use sbide.sys and mscdex.exe)

No there are No cd-applications running (I have tried shutting down all
non-essential apps , (I run only sendmail and named).  Nup I can do a fresh
powercycle, login as root and "mount" and it still fails :( .. Its not a
bootable device :(

> Perhaps we can find a solution,

Thanks for the help ... I'm no expert BUT it doesn't seem like a hardware
conflict.

Yours Tony.