[plug] Bateman Primary - Part II

HILL Walter walter.hill at customs.gov.au
Tue Aug 4 14:00:40 WST 1998

Hi All,

Thanks to all those who responded to my request about message about
cable limits.

We have also managed to find a parent of a student who is a "Cable Guy",
and pulls data / voice cable for a living.

Our proposed system will use CAT5 within labs and a fibre run across to
another building. It will also be mixed at the physical level. Token
Ring in the lab and Ethernet in the library. All the PCs in the lab have
already got (unused) Token Ring cards in them and the cost of
re-equipping the machine with Ethernet cards would be prohibitive
(They've got MCA busses). We also have sufficient MSAUs to do the job.
The library PC and NIC-less so Ethernet's the go.

The next step is the connection to the Internet. We envisage at least 20
PCs to start with, via proxy / router. ISDN looks outrageously expensive
given the usage - a most of 6 hours per day, not too many weeks per year
(Oh to be a teacher :-)). I am interested in load-balancing (di-plexing)
and setting up a single logical connection over a pair of physical
lines. Does anyone have any experience in configuring this? Is there a
list of ISPs that support these types of connection?

Thanks