[plug] Pop Mail

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Aug 5 09:36:36 WST 1998

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Tony Clark wrote:

> Install the imap rpm...it alos contails pop

Perhaps it doesn't matter so much with dialup accounts, but I'd want to be
sure all the security holes I've heard exist have been fixed first.

I use fetchmail to get mail from several accounts then cucipop to serve it
out locally.

Cucipop is (or was when I was their customer) good enough for iinet.

fetchmail is updated regularly: its up to 4.5.5 or therabouts now.
Both can be had from sunsite and good mirrors.

> At 05:29 PM 8/4/98 +0800, you wrote:
> >Okay, I give in.  What's the secret to getting pop mail working?
> >
> >My wife uses mac to collect her mail off my linux box.  Under
> >slackware there was no problems.  She simply had her mailer connect to
> >her account and her mail was downloaded.  Virtually straight out of the
> >box.  Since changing the linux box to Red Hat, however, she keeps getting
> >network stream errors and I can't work out why.  Networking to and from
> >her machine is up and working fine. The only thing that's not working is
> >email.  It's not a password problem.  I don't think its a newtwork
> >problem.  Sendmail is configured and working fine (she has email in her
> >account she just can't get it to her machine).  What have I
> >missed/forgotten?  Any suggestions?
> >
> >skribe
> >
> Tony Clark
>
> Digital and System Groups Manager