Noise! (was Re: [plug] Linux Journal)

Christian cpayne at q-net.net.au
Thu Aug 6 11:05:29 WST 1998

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, John Summerfield wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, The Thought Assassin wrote:
>
> > I assume you wanted this to go the list, rather than me Gavin, so I'll
> > take the liberty of forwarding it there.
> >
> He probably didn't want it to go twice though.

And he probably didn't want you replying either.  Honestly, the ratio of
noise to people subscribed on this list is unbelievable.  I don't
want to start a flame war but perhaps people could just minimise their
actual list postings to a bear minimum?

For instance, messages thanking people for their help need not be directed
to the list.  Posting of URLs to interesting (but not vital) stories
someone has read on Slashdot are not really necessary either - that's why
it's a website and not a mailing list, we can visit if and when we want.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about check out
http://slashdot.org for daily, up to date news and comment on technical
and Unix/Linux related issues.

Also, perhaps people asking very basic queries can consider using IRC as
an alternative first option?  Not only is it better in terms of getting an
immediate response (particularly when there are further questions that
need to be asked to properly troubleshoot the problem) but it also
eliminates you having to come back to the list and posting "Ok, I've tried
that and it didn't work, what now?".  IRC networks like the linpeople one
(irc.linux.org.au and channel #linuxaus) and OzOrg (mpx.sydney.oz.org and
#linux) both regularly have active people on them willing to help with a
wide range of queries.  If you don't get help on IRC then by all means
post to this list, but even if there isn't anyone active on those channels
who can help you, waiting an hour and coming back later will still
probably give you a faster overall response to your problems than posting
to this list.

Anyway, no one should take this personally but the list will be a more
concise and useful resource if people just use a bit of common sense
before posting.  Ask yourselves, "Does everyone else really want or need
to hear this?" and "Is there a faster/easier/better way of getting this
information?" (eg, web search/IRC/man pages/howto) before you hit send.

Regards,

Christian.