Noise! (was Re: [plug] Linux Journal)

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 6 10:14:58 WST 1998

On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 11:05:29AM +0800, Christian wrote:

> Anyway, no one should take this personally but the list will be a more
> concise and useful resource if people just use a bit of common sense
> before posting.  Ask yourselves, "Does everyone else really want or need
> to hear this?" and "Is there a faster/easier/better way of getting this
> information?" (eg, web search/IRC/man pages/howto) before you hit send.

I agree. One list that I really like the format of is osf-managers.
This is a very busy list with some strict rules. Answers to questions
are posted to the individual not to the list. The original poster is
then required to post a summary (with SUMMARY being the first word of
the subject). This works great. The noise is cut down and an archive of
the summaries make a fantastic help source that people are reqested to
search first [I normally dont need to go further].

Bevan
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065