[plug] Re: Noise!

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Aug 6 13:34:39 WST 1998

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, russ wrote:

> I suppose that depends on your point of view. If you are an experienced
> linux vet, I guess this would seem very noisy.

Not to me.  I'm quite happy with the level of discussion on this list..
Sure, it is very noisy, and signal to noise is very low, but I like the
informality of this list.

I think we'd kill the list, or at least the way we know it, if we set up a
formal set of rules for everyone to follow.

I don't think rules are quite necessary until you get thousands of
messages a day, like linux-kernel etc.

The only rules I'd like to see more people follow is the general
netiquette ones like only quoting the relevant parts of the message you're
replying to, and checking to see if someone else has already answered the
question you're replying to, with the same info you're about to supply, so
we don't get duplicate identical answers.

> Short of constantly monitoring irc all day, I don't think I could
> get the same benefit.

I don't have the time to be on IRC all day, much as I'd love to be, but I
do tend to have several minutes of spare time several times throughout the
day, which I spend checking my various mailing lists for interesting
messages, and replying to them - which is why I prefer email because it
gives me the opportunity to answer newbie's questions which have been
asked while I was away (if noone else has beat me to it ;)

> Maybe we need an official guide/rules/PLUG howto?

I hope not

 - Matt Kemner
System Administrator/BOFH        "Words are too feeble,
Networx Internet                  they cannot contain"
(08) 9 345 3377                   Live, "Stage"