Noise! (was Re: [plug] Linux Journal)

russ russ at apollo.powerstech.com
Thu Aug 6 13:13:36 WST 1998

I suppose that depends on your point of view. If you are an experienced linux vet, I guess this would seem very noisy. But, as a new linux user, I find it all very interesting and informative. And I can collect this information at my leisure and keep or discard the bits and pieces as I wish. Short of constantly monitoring irc all day, I don't think I could get the same benefit.

I agree with the part about thanking people (I am guilty of that). I wasn't aware whether it was correct etiquette to email people directly. And I think Bevan has a very good idea about replying to the person who asked the question and then that person posting a summary.

Maybe we need an official guide/rules/PLUG howto?

The above is just my opinion and no offense is intended, like I mentioned, I'm a newbie.

russ

>On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, The Thought Assassin wrote:
>>
>> > I assume you wanted this to go the list, rather than me Gavin, so I'll
>> > take the liberty of forwarding it there.
>> >
>> He probably didn't want it to go twice though.
>
>And he probably didn't want you replying either.  Honestly, the ratio of
>noise to people subscribed on this list is unbelievable.  I don't
>want to start a flame war but perhaps people could just minimise their
>actual list postings to a bear minimum?
>
>For instance, messages thanking people for their help need not be directed
>to the list.  Posting of URLs to interesting (but not vital) stories
>someone has read on Slashdot are not really necessary either - that's why
>it's a website and not a mailing list, we can visit if and when we want.
>For those who don't know what I'm talking about check out
>http://slashdot.org for daily, up to date news and comment on technical
>and Unix/Linux related issues.
>
>Also, perhaps people asking very basic queries can consider using IRC as
>an alternative first option?  Not only is it better in terms of getting an
>immediate response (particularly when there are further questions that
>need to be asked to properly troubleshoot the problem) but it also
>eliminates you having to come back to the list and posting "Ok, I've tried
>that and it didn't work, what now?".  IRC networks like the linpeople one
>(irc.linux.org.au and channel #linuxaus) and OzOrg (mpx.sydney.oz.org and
>#linux) both regularly have active people on them willing to help with a
>wide range of queries.  If you don't get help on IRC then by all means
>post to this list, but even if there isn't anyone active on those channels
>who can help you, waiting an hour and coming back later will still
>probably give you a faster overall response to your problems than posting
>to this list.
>
>Anyway, no one should take this personally but the list will be a more
>concise and useful resource if people just use a bit of common sense
>before posting.  Ask yourselves, "Does everyone else really want or need
>to hear this?" and "Is there a faster/easier/better way of getting this
>information?" (eg, web search/IRC/man pages/howto) before you hit send.
>

>Regards,
>
>Christian.

Hex
Phone:      (+61 8)9247-1771