[plug] Re: Noise!

Doug Clulow clulow at upnaway.com
Fri Aug 7 12:58:10 WST 1998

I like the informality of the list, and from the inception of plug, have felt
comfortable that questions may be asked without the attitude more common on
usenet that one should first read the manual (or fine material as the case may be
;-).

After using Linux for about three years on and off, and I still find that some
manual pages are almost totally indecipherable, and are phrased in a language
that leaves one feeling more helpless than before looking!  There is such a vast
amount of material available that it is often hard to know even where to start
looking, whereas often a question to a friendly local group resolves the matter
efficiently and directly..

We could certainly do with  introductory guidelines, but  without a FAQ
available, it seems unreasonable to expect subscribers to know whether they are
making a valid contribution or asking a dumb question.  My opinion is that any
contribution is possibly of value to someone, and at least until the spam
contingent find their way in, 'noise' is not a problem!

Let's keep our group friendly, and try and redress the (sometimes deserved)
reputation that Linux has of being user unfriendly.

Doug