[plug] Pinouts / Noise / solutions

Leon Brooks leonb at ami.com.au
Sun Aug 9 10:49:19 WST 1998

Peter Robinson wrote:
> Yes, I realise that I'm not _TOTALLY_ stupid, I do realise PLUG stands
> for Perth Linux Users Group, and maybe I should have mentioned it as well

Mention it early, mention it often, mention it to as many people as you
can. (-:

> but I want to intend to use the cable, along with a null modem connector
> to connect two PCs together to be able to connect from one to the other
> using minicom, one is a Linux box with out a monitor etc and the other is
> (suprisingly) Linux box. The problem is that the Linux box with no monitor
> sometimes looses its network connection, and I want to be able to access
> via the serial port to re-establish the network connection, or at least be
> able to shut it down gracefully.

Hi... look in the Serial-HOWTO, probably in /usr/doc/HOWTO or
/usr/doc/faq/howto on your Linux machine. I think there's also a
Serial-Console-HOWTO which might be of additional use to you (-: as it
was to me: now two work boxen sport cheap VT300 clones in place of
expensive SVGA monitors, which monitors the boss there insisted on
selling with monotonous regularity :-)