[plug] Computer expo

Glen Lewis kisa at kisa.com
Sun Aug 9 22:45:49 WST 1998

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Niall Young wrote:

> > > I was just thinking that a stall of some type at the computer expo this
> > > year (burswood dome) could be a good way of getting new 'members' while
> > > doing a little for linux advocasy at the same time...
> > > give out free/cheap redhat/<other easy to install linux> cds??
> >
> > It takes money to get space though.  Perhaps iiNet are taking a stall anyway
> > and might be interested in sharing space?  Anyone from iiNet reading this?
> > I'd be happy to hand out some cheap CDs.
> >
> > Does anyone know the expo date?
>
> No idea on the date, but I'm sure iiNet would help out if space was available.
> I'll check it out and get back to the list.

iiNet recently committed to the Internet Expo which was to be run in
conjunction with the Perth Electronics Show, which some of you may know
went under before it really got off the ground.  Given iiNets leaning
towards Linux over other, heathen, OS's I wouldn't be surprised if we
would be willing to have a good look at another one over the next year or
so.

However it all depends on the dates - as most can understand, it takes a
_LOT_ of work to get these things off the ground, and their needs to be a
perceived benefit to iiNet.  Two years ago, I noticed that iiNet did not
show at the Expo.  At that stage I was a client and was quite miffed why
iiNet did not show, yet every other ISP did.  Here was my answer - there
is not much point showing up to an Expo where you are one of 15 ISP's
there.  Particularly when traits such as excellence is customer support,
high quality bandwidth, stable technology etc etc, cannot be exhibited as
well as cute chicks wearing really really short shorts (blink) handing out
squillions of bright brochures with FREE INTERNET ACCESS [1] and telling
me that I could get the sort of speeds they were right there at the expo -
suurree I have a 128k link at home ...

Having said that, its still very possible.  Niall, you may want to get me
the details out of the list so that we can review them...

Glen Lewis
Support Dude aka "kisabert"
iiNet Technologies

[1] With 15 disclaimers down the bottom.