[plug] Name Registration.

Doug Clulow clulow at upnaway.com
Wed Aug 12 10:40:36 WST 1998

A brief perusal of the rules brought up a catch 22.  Since anyone who wants to
become a member needs the approval of two other members getting started could
prove problematic.

As a permanent physical incapacity rules out eligibility for Committee membership,
this means that Steven Hawkings will not be eligible for the committee, or indeed
anyone with an affliction which does not necessarily affect the ability for
carrying out the duties of the position.  In these days where discrimination
against the handicapped is generally not a good idea (and probably illegal), this
clause (and about 90% of the rest) could better be consigned to /dev/null..

I accept that if we are to have subscriptions, joint property etc, some kind of
constitution is necessary.  However, surely the jargon embellished legalese could
be dispatched with and replaced with something in plain English.  The document at
<http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/Rules.htm>, is surely  is put forward with the
best intentions, but do we really need something with all the references to sub
clauses, and which requires at least a basic foundation in legal studies in order
to extract the true meaning?

Doug