[plug] incorportation

Luigi Cantoni lui at stm0001.dialix.oz.au
Thu Aug 13 12:47:47 WST 1998

To All,
Before starting on my comments a little history.
I am currently on the AUUG executive and the WAUUG exec.
I have in the past been the major person responsible
for the incorporation of several clubs and have advised
on constitutions etc for several others (both before and
after incorporation).
For those who know me from the past know that when it
comes to rules and laws I general have an idea about them.
(I am not a lawyer or anything like that.)

I also have a biased position. That is very simple to explain.
Currently AUUG is discussing with the Sydney Linux group about
some way of including them into the AUUG framework. The aim
then is to suggest that to the broader Linux groups.

I would suggest that someone from PLUG here correspond with
someone from SLUG (eg Peter Chubb or someone like that) and
get their view on things. Get opinions and views from the
LUG's point of view. I truly cannot do that as I have a view
from AUUG's stand point and it would be hard for me to present
an unbiased position.

The obvious major considerations are that the LUG's have a minimal
fee and they have minimal adminstration but are protected by the
general umbrella of AUUG. The two communities could then do more
joint things and foster better the free and open operating systems.

I personally believe the LUG's have what AUUG used to have several years
ago and the whole community will benefit from the experience/contacts
and the keeness etc that can be gotten by working as one.

I would suggest that you do nothing until you have an idea what is
happening elsewhere but also any group of people in a "club" type
situation who want to progress would need to incorporate etc. It would
mean more adminstration and rules but otherwise they tend to spliter
and die in bits.

These are my views and not those of AUUG, SLUG or its executives. You
can get official views by email to auugexec at auug.org.au. Please don't
flood SLUG or AUUG with requests for info just one or two people
say they will do it and report back to the group.

Thanks for reading this.
--
Luigi Cantoni: lui at stm.com.au       ,-_|\         STM