[plug] incorportation

terry at perf.no.itg.telstra.com.au terry at perf.no.itg.telstra.com.au
Thu Aug 13 14:01:21 WST 1998

On 13 Aug, Luigi Cantoni wrote:

> I also have a biased position. That is very simple to explain.
> Currently AUUG is discussing with the Sydney Linux group about
> some way of including them into the AUUG framework. The aim
> then is to suggest that to the broader Linux groups.
>
> I would suggest that someone from PLUG here correspond with
> someone from SLUG (eg Peter Chubb or someone like that) and
> get their view on things. Get opinions and views from the

To be fair, Peter is no less biased. SLUG established a working party
to discuss the matter, and to the best of my knowledge they have not
yet reached a conclusion on what course of action they should take.
They are investigating a number of options, the AUUG proposal is but
one of many.

> The obvious major considerations are that the LUG's have a minimal
> fee and they have minimal adminstration but are protected by the
> general umbrella of AUUG. The two communities could then do more
> joint things and foster better the free and open operating systems.

> I personally believe the LUG's have what AUUG used to have several years
> ago and the whole community will benefit from the experience/contacts
> and the keeness etc that can be gotten by working as one.

I think the idea has merit. So much so that I've been pondering the
implications of Linux Australia gearing itself up to offer just the
same sort of legal protection that the AUUG proposal offers.

I must also declare I have a slight anti-AUUG bias, not for anything
they have done, but for what they haven't done.

regards
Terry