[plug] Req hints on a masq/proxy box

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Mon Aug 17 13:38:31 WST 1998

> From:           	assassin at citynet.net.au (The Thought Assassin)
> > Does anyone have any hints and tips on setting up a masq. box (with a
> > proxy server if possible) or is this a case of following the HOWTO docs?
> The HOWTOs are pretty good, but not so easy when you first read them.

*nod*

With linux developing so quickly (especially in the network server areas) the
HOWTOs tend to lag a bit (about 6 months normally - have seen 3 years).

Hacking around the kernel I can do in my sleep but anything more than basic
IP number configuration is something of a black art for me (quote "to each
his own").

> I think the best would be to get the basic functionality happening, then come
> and tune it at UWA.

Will do...

> Be warned that giant squids feed on vast quantities of RAM. You can run a
> squid in 8M, but only with 100M or so of cache. If this is intended to only
> do proxy & masq, You probably want to either buy more RAM, or take out the 1G
> drive and give it to me :)

Umm... 8x1MB 30pin RAM (full house - no more memory slots), does the
CPU speed have any effect on squids (ie: is a 33MHz 486 too slow?)

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

"There is no such thing as a bug in the Linux 2.1.x kernels
Consider it as a request from the enlightened for you to brush
up on your C programming and help improve the kernel."