[plug] Req hints on a masq/proxy box

The Thought Assassin assassin at citynet.net.au
Mon Aug 17 15:45:26 WST 1998

> Umm... 8x1MB 30pin RAM (full house - no more memory slots), does the
> CPU speed have any effect on squids (ie: is a 33MHz 486 too slow?)
Nope, not really. Though if you had a really big link in both directions,
I suppose you could. At the inaugural UWA meeting, Mike O'Reilly told us
his squid had finally become CPU-bound when he added his 80th Gig or
something. And that's doing a hell of a lot of software RAID as well, IIRC.

In short, RAM size is by far the biggest factor on all but the biggest of
squids (see earlier thread on this topic).

-Greg