[plug] to-night's meeting

peter caffin pc at it.net.au
Mon Aug 24 15:32:10 WST 1998

During the hours of 11:28 pm 24/08/98 +0800, Doug Clulow wrote in email..
>Tonight's meeting..
>S&^*  I missed it..  How come no-one mentions tomorrow night's meeting!

I've been expecting to hear something about it in plug-announce, but, nada.
Is there a set in concrete set of dates/locations now?

>Has anyone tried using Slackware (I like the distribution, but would prefer
>something with a package manager)

pkgtool not good enough for ya, then?

Oh, you mean a *good* package manager.. ;).

>and installing RPM as an extra? I am
>interested in combining the best of both worlds, but would like to know if it
>is a reasonable thing to do.

I've heard of people doing this sort of thing, though not by choice. There
are allegedly a few apps available these days that are available only as RPMs.
I'd have thought the design philosophy which attracts people to Slackware
would have been reasonably incompatible with RPMs and such..

Apparently it's possible, though with a few annoyances. It's being
discussed currently on comp.os.linux.misc.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  |  _ |_|_' _   p c at it dot net dot a u it.net.au/~pc |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_| .|. |_(_|| | || |  PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |
/