[plug] How do you unzip files under linux.

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Wed Aug 26 19:22:04 WST 1998

David Buddrige wrote:
> have tried commands like unzip or pkunzip but neither seem to work...
> apropos zip returns "nothing appropriate"... can anyone give me a
> hand?

Hi David.

Unzip is the one to go for, though you might not have the same unzip
program I have on my Slackware box.  Mine came with the distribution,
but, I hope the following output will at least help you to find the
right package on Hotbot or Altavista:

--------8<--------------------------------------8<------------------

UnZip 5.20 of 30 April 1996, by Info-ZIP.  Maintained by Greg Roelofs.
Send
bug reports to the authors at Zip-Bugs at wkuvx1.wku.edu; see README for
details.

Usage: unzip [-Z] [-opts[modifiers]] file[.zip] [list] [-x xlist] [-d
exdir]
  Default action is to extract files in list, except those in xlist, to
exdir;
  file[.zip] may be a wildcard.  -Z => ZipInfo mode ("unzip -Z" for
usage).

  -p  extract files to pipe, no messages     -l  list files (short
format)
  -f  freshen existing files, create none    -t  test compressed archive
data
  -u  update files, create if necessary      -z  display archive comment
  -x  exclude files which follow (in xlist)  -d  extract files into
exdir

modifiers:                                   -q  quiet mode (-qq =>
quieter)
  -n  never overwrite existing files         -a  auto-convert any text
files
  -o  overwrite files WITHOUT prompting      -aa treat ALL files as text
  -j  junk paths (don't make directories)    -v  be verbose/print
version info
  -C  match filenames case-insensitively     -L  make (some) names
lowercase
  -X  restore UID/GID info                   -V  retain VMS version
numbers
                                             -M  pipe through "more"
pager
Examples (see unzip.doc for more info):
  unzip data1 -x joe   => extract all files except joe from zipfile
data1.zip
  unzip -p foo | more  => send contents of foo.zip via pipe into program
more
  unzip -fo foo ReadMe => quietly replace existing ReadMe if archive
file newer

I've successfully used this program to unzip the DOS distribution files
for Legacy DOOM (the project running that's updating the DOOM game for
the 90s -- very swish; I hope they do a port to X :)) while under Linux
without any dramas.

Peter.
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  |  _ |_|_' _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                    PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |