[plug] [Plug] Newbie queries for IRCD

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 1 10:10:29 WST 1998

Hi,

I'd appreciate some basic pointers in setting up a stand-alone ircd.  The
application is an experimental one for my teacher partner who would like to
set up an irc-based classroom environment without the possibility of
interference from outsiders.  To prove the viability or otherwise of this,
I downloaded ircd and have successfully compiled it.  I have a Debian linux
system

The doco is reasonably comprehensible and an example.conf file is included
which gives some clues about how to set it up.  The examples are mainly
leaf-server based and little if any reference is made to a stand-alone
server.  This is an experimental setup only and I have no intention of the
daemon ever "going public," this is a viability test only, now.

Perhaps the most basic query is where to put the actual ircd.conf file.  I
see that .conf's usually show up in /etc and it would seem logical to put
it there.  The rest of the installation seems to have gone according to
logic, with the binaries eventually going into /usr/local/... space.
Understandably, however, I do not want to be responsible for bringing down
the entire Internet through misconfiguration :-)  So I figure it's better
to ask first and act later.

Cheers & thanks for your time,
Denis