[plug] [Plug] Newbie queries for IRCD

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Dec 1 10:23:11 WST 1998

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Denis Brown wrote:

> I downloaded ircd and have successfully compiled it.  I have a Debian linux
> system

You may want to look at the ircd that comes with Debian - it comes
preconfigured for standalone mode.

> Perhaps the most basic query is where to put the actual ircd.conf file.  I
> see that .conf's usually show up in /etc and it would seem logical to put
> it there.

It should have been a compile-time option - check the Makefile.
Debian configures it to be in /etc/ircd but your version most likely
defaults to somewhere else.
If all else fails you can pass the config file with the -f parameter when
you start the ircd.

> Understandably, however, I do not want to be responsible for bringing down
> the entire Internet through misconfiguration :-)

That's unlikely to happen - if it were _that_ easy to bring down an entire
IRC network I know a few misfits that would have done so ages ago.  Most
likely what will happen, if you daemon does decide to try and connect to
eg. irc.undernet.org, it will just get rejected because it doesn't know
the passwords.

> Cheers & thanks for your time,

Good luck.

 - Matt