[plug] [Plug] Newbie queries for IRCD

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Dec 1 10:28:34 WST 1998

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Denis Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd appreciate some basic pointers in setting up a stand-alone ircd.  The
> application is an experimental one for my teacher partner who would like to
> set up an irc-based classroom environment without the possibility of
> interference from outsiders.  To prove the viability or otherwise of this,
> I downloaded ircd and have successfully compiled it.  I have a Debian linux
> system
>
> The doco is reasonably comprehensible and an example.conf file is included
> which gives some clues about how to set it up.  The examples are mainly
> leaf-server based and little if any reference is made to a stand-alone
> server.  This is an experimental setup only and I have no intention of the
> daemon ever "going public," this is a viability test only, now.
>
> Perhaps the most basic query is where to put the actual ircd.conf file.  I
> see that .conf's usually show up in /etc and it would seem logical to put
> it there.  The rest of the installation seems to have gone according to
> logic, with the binaries eventually going into /usr/local/... space.
> Understandably, however, I do not want to be responsible for bringing down
> the entire Internet through misconfiguration :-)  So I figure it's better
> to ask first and act later.

I went through a very similar process myself less than a fornight ago.

I found that the ircd that came from http://www.funet.fi/~irc/
was the easyest to set for a stand alone connection.  The docos on that sight
combined with http://www.irchelp.org/ were VERY helpfull.

<Quote Matt Kemner (zombie at networx.net.au)>
Debian includes the undernet irc server - I imagine RedHat would too.  If
not, you can grab the Debian source package from your local debian mirror,
(in the /hamm/source/net directory)
or grab the original source from ftp://ftp.undernet.org/pub/irc/servers/
(or install the debian package with alien, but YMMV :))
</Quote>

I looked into that one ... BUT I found the version 2.10.0p5 worked REALLY well
out of the tarball :).

Anyway ... I'd be pleased to send you  my ircd.conf if you can't get one
working ... BUT the doco's in the 2.10.0p5 are pretty good :)

Yours Tony.