[plug] NFS problem

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Tue Dec 1 11:13:33 WST 1998

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Matt Kemner wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
> > > Not the kernel. However, I do suspect that the kernels and the version of
> > > nfs I have installed have some incompatibility.
But they don't, because it fails in exactly the same way on 2.0 and 2.1
So it's entirely userspace.

But, imagining it wasn't:

> > > If there is some incompatibility, the kernel writers should know about it.
If there was an incompatibility, the kernel writers would already know
about it. The NFS maintainers would have alerted them.

> > If there was, the NFS people should know about it, not necessarily the
> > kernel writers.
> Well, I really think both.
But the people who need to tell the kernel developers about it are the NFS
developers. They are the ones who can be sure where the error lies, and
know exactly what to say to the kernel people.

> However, the only email address I have for nfs is bugs at redhat.com and
> the last many times I emailed there I got autoreplied and no evidence
> anyone read my mail.
Hmmm, do they not have an online bugtracking DB like Debian? I thought I
saw an announcement a while back saying they were moving this way.
Did the autoreply quote a bug number at you so you could track the
response?
In this situation, it appears the problem was caused by the redhat package
upgrading the binary but forgetting to upgrade the config. If you can work
out how to upgrade the config, and include that in your bug report, it
will be much easier for them to track down the problem.

-Greg Mildenhall