[plug] NFS problem

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Dec 1 23:13:23 WST 1998

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
> But they don't, because it fails in exactly the same way on 2.0 and 2.1
> So it's entirely userspace.
>
> But, imagining it wasn't:

> If there was an incompatibility, the kernel writers would already know
> about it. The NFS maintainers would have alerted them.

Only if it was already found.

> > > If there was, the NFS people should know about it, not necessarily the
> > > kernel writers.
> > Well, I really think both.
> But the people who need to tell the kernel developers about it are the NFS
> developers. They are the ones who can be sure where the error lies, and
> know exactly what to say to the kernel people.

It's fairly clear we can't sort it out. I imagine that the kernel developrs
and whoever looks after nfs communicate regularly.

If there's a choice between reporting to the Kernel folk and not reporting
it...

> > However, the only email address I have for nfs is bugs at redhat.com and
> > the last many times I emailed there I got autoreplied and no evidence
> > anyone read my mail.
> Hmmm, do they not have an online bugtracking DB like Debian? I thought I
> saw an announcement a while back saying they were moving this way.
We can report someplace in their www site. That's not very convenient for
me as I'm usually asleep when the computer's internetting.

> Did the autoreply quote a bug number at you so you could track the
> response?
No.

> In this situation, it appears the problem was caused by the redhat package
> upgrading the binary but forgetting to upgrade the config. If you can work
> out how to upgrade the config, and include that in your bug report, it
> will be much easier for them to track down the problem.

I dug out some aged source (RH4 plus archives) & found an email address
there.

I'm now inclined to think the two versions of NFS are mutually incompatible:
perhaps because of some security change, misalignment of fields on workd
boundaries, string overrun....

I don't plan to upgrade the other machine to test whether the new nfs can
talk to itself: my home directory is an nfs mount from emu and I'm
particularly keen not to risk upsetting that.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield