[plug] IP Masquerading problems...?

John Breen wombat at mad.scientist.com
Wed Dec 2 00:46:54 WST 1998

I apologise in advance for the length of this message, but I probably
need to give all this information so you can maybe help.

I've asked about this before and got some help from PLUG which
got me about halfway.

What I want to do is to set up my linux box to handle IP
masquerading on my dialup internet connection.  I've done what it
says to do in the IP-masquerading HOWTO, and I can get so far
and then no further.

I have:

1.  Rebuilt my kernel with the right options
2.  Made the right modules
3.  Installed modules in rc.local
4.  Assigned valid local IPs to all machines on my network
(linux=192.168.1.1, wombat=192.168.1.5, wallaby=192.168.1.3,
netmask=255.255.255.0)
5.  Set up a ppp connection to my ISP with pppd.  This bit
definitely works, as I can dial up and browse the web.
6.  Set up the nameserver for non-local addresses to my ISPs DNS.
7.  Configured my windows 95/98 machines to use the linux box as
the gateway
8.  Set up IP Forwarding policies on the linux box with ipfwadm

According to the HOWTO, that's about all I need to do.  I should
now be able to see the internet from my other boxes without any
problems at all.  i.e, I should just be able to use a hostname or IP
number in my mail prog, and get mail via pop or do the same for
nntp with my newsreader without any problems at all.  Problem is,
it don't go!

The web side of things I got around by setting up squid.  That
works well.  It's just the rest of it that's got me stuffed.  Somebody
suggested local e-mail and news servers on the linux box, but I
don't think that's a very good idea when I'm on a dialup which isn't
permanently connected.

Can anyone who's done this sort of thing give me a hand, please -
my MidPoint Gateway trial version is about to expire and I'd like to
have this sorted before it does (next week!)

Cheers,

John Breen
| John Breen                 | wombat at mad.scientist.com     |
| Wombat Computer Services   | http://www.bis.net.au/wombat |
| Bunbury, Western Australia | ICQ UIN: 777296              |
| Tel +61-8-9791-5646        | Mobile: +61-(0)414-79-4404   |