[plug] IP Masquerading problems...?

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Dec 2 08:01:54 WST 1998

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, John Breen wrote:

> I apologise in advance for the length of this message, but I probably
> need to give all this information so you can maybe help.

Better a little to much than a little to little I say. Don't apologise for
doing the right thing.

> the gateway
> 8.  Set up IP Forwarding policies on the linux box with ipfwadm

You need a rule like this.
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.0/16
(I masq for 192.168.*.* as I have two subnets and this is simpler).
and an echo like this:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

> The web side of things I got around by setting up squid.  That
> works well.  It's just the rest of it that's got me stuffed.  Somebody
> suggested local e-mail and news servers on the linux box, but I
> don't think that's a very good idea when I'm on a dialup which isn't
> permanently connected.

I think local mail with fetchmail and a POP3 service is a really good idea
for a dialup user. i do it myself, and as soon as I get connected I start
fetchmail to retrieve mail for several accounts (mine, Wife's, Daughter's).

Mail can then be  read at leasure with whatever comes to hand: pine,
netscape....

Ditto news though in this case you get to download it before you decide
whether you want it.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield