[plug] D'OH : (Reply-to Munging)

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Dec 10 14:24:46 WST 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Gary Allpike wrote:

> I still believe that the answers to people questions are better on the
> main list.

I agree with that.  I don't mind the occasional inane chatter etc on this
list either.  It creates a good "atmosphere" (for me anyway)

> If people make a mistake occasionally and send a private reply
> to the list, its no big deal!

I disagree with that, but then it really depends on what's in the private
reply.. I think Matt Tippet's mail was harmless, but other private mails
may be more private than that.

> These lists build into a very valuable resource when they are archived.
> If replies defaulted to the author rather than the list we would end up
> with an archive of questions and no answers.

I doubt that.  People would just hit "reply to all" instead, and at least
it gives them the choice.

 - Matt