[plug] Debian menu system

Colin 't Hart hart at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 10 21:52:09 WST 1998

Hi all,

I've been playing around with menu files in Debian -- trying to
add a few things that I've installed locally from .tar.gz "packages"
and change a few of the default menus.

I can't get anything to appear or change anywhere in my menus.
I use Window Maker as my window manager.

I've added the following:

/etc/menu/wmaker which contains
?package(local.wmaker):needs=wmaker \
        section="/Debian" title="Exit session" \
        command="SHUTDOWN

Basically I wanted to put an Exit session at the bottom of the root
menu so logouts are quick'n'easy for all users.

Also
/etc/menu/procs which contains
?package(procps):needs=text section="Apps/System" title="Top" \
        command="/usr/bin/top"

and

/etc/menu/psmisc which contains
?package(psmisc):needs=text section="Apps/System"\
  title="pstree" command="/usr/bin/pstree"

So that those two annoying System entries in the root menu get moved
into Apps/System where they belong :-)

I've also added
~/.menu/local.soffice which contains
?package(local.soffice): needs=x11 section=Apps title="Star Office"
command="soffice"

as I'm the only user who's run the Star Office user install.

I've run update-menus both as root and as me but I don't see any
changes in the root menu.

Any hints?

I really like the way this system has been put together -- if only it
would work!

Cheers,

Colin