[plug] Kernel messages

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 14 10:11:44 WST 1998

At 13:36 13/12/98 +0800, Tony Clark wrote:
>Can anyone shed any light on these messages I'm getting in my syslog
>
>Dec 13 13:16:36 gw kernel:  49 52 31 6C 69 vKpIR1li
>Dec 13 13:17:16 gw kernel: 9 6E 2F 77 33 i-bin/w3
    ...snip...

Forgive the obvious, but in a user-help-desk environment my first question
would be either "when did you first notice those messages?" or "what
prompted you to go looking at syslog, if that is not a normal practice?"
It certainly looks like debug info as has been suggested.  Was the machine
doing odd things?  Performance drop?

Maybe if you can isolate the time/date when the messages (and other
symptoms?) started to appear, you will get a flash of inspiration pointing
to some recently-loaded code, a version update or a configuration change
which took place around that time.

Hth,
Denis