[plug] Official Kernel.org mirror

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Dec 17 10:28:51 WST 1998

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, David Campbell wrote:

> > >From an article on slashdot.org recently it appeard that kernel.org are
> > looking for _official_ mirrors to be served by a roud-robin dns or alike.
>
> I don't think being in the main ring is such a good idea. It would be
> fine for sites in the US, access from anywhere in the US to anywhere
> else in the US is fairly consistent.

The original message (posted to linux-kernel by HPA) says they plan to set
up " a

       ftp://ftp.<locality>.mirrors.kernel.org/kernel.org/
      http://www.<locality>.mirrors.kernel.org/kernel.org/

  uniform URL (via roundrobin CNAME DNS) scheme.  The exact spec for
  the uniform URL is not set in stone at this point, but probably
  will be in the next few days."

So linux.org.au wouldn't be in the "main ring" but would be in either
ftp.au.mirrors.kernel.org or
ftp.perth.mirrors.kernel.org

or something similar.

 - Matt