[plug] LINUX OUTPACES WINDOWS NT

David Buddrige dbuddrige at ozemail.com.au
Fri Dec 18 20:09:44 WST 1998

Actually, I don't find it surprising at all... I find it rather
gratifying... but it has been plain to me for some time that MS was in
serious trouble - I saw this news item and felt that the rest of my fellow
PLUG'ers would enjoy reading it too...

I think that M$ is discovering that you can only feed bulldust to your
customers for so long before they start realising that it's all been
bulldust all along.  After they realise that it's all bulldust - you're
finished - cause no-one's ever going to beleive you any more.

I think that (barring an unfortunate miracle) Microsoft's NT 5 is dead in
the water before it even "ships"... by the time it actually comes out (if
it ever does), I think Linux will have already cleaned up the market...

Microsoft has made some fundamental (and very arrogant) mistakes including:

1. Thinking that customers will beleive bulldust forever.
2. Effectively alienating most of the world's population of the most
intelligent minds in the world (hackers) through FUD combined with a
fundamentally rubbish OS - it's bad enought that it's all CSS etc...  but
that it's not even a good product is (I think) especially galling to most
techies and hackers.  (Note that there is nowhere near the animosity
towards a closed OS like Sun Solaris... it IS CSS, but it's a good product.

3. Producing a rubbish O/S and lying about it's capacity (see point 1).
4. Getting Greedy has in the long term finished  their OSS... see this
article for a discussion about why this is so...
http://www.anchordesk.com/a/ad1tltqp/2890
5. Getting arrogant has increased dramatically the determination of a great
number of people and organisations (with significant collective and
long-term power) to demolish MS.  Just like the Axis powers of WW2, they
have bitten off more than they can chew, and are about to reap the results
of their arrogance.

The really dumb thing is... they _COULD_ have been n the position they
wanted if they had concentrated more on producing a good working product
rather than using their code to demolish compeditors and over-ride
standards.

In the end, Customers want a working system, they don't give a rat's ar$e
about where MS wants to go.  They want their computers to work and work
well... MS succeeded in convincing a whole bunch of managers with straight
out lies about their OS, however as I have said earlier, I think it has
reached critical mass, whereby the Managers in question are beginning to
wake up to the fact that they have been lied to.

anyway, that's my $0.02....

Dave.....