[plug] Easy Problems

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Wed Dec 23 21:47:34 WST 1998

Nick Rohrlach wrote:
> 1.  My X server (the SVGA one running on a RH5.1 box) seems to stop
> after it gets to the cross stage.  I can change resolutions (ctrl -
> alt - +/-) and move the mouse but just simply can't do anything...the
> login screen never appears.

*grin* I think I know _exactly_ what your problem is 'cause it's the
first one I ever encountered when trying to get X up and running.. Edit
your .xinitrc file and add in the name of a window manager :).

I'd suggest starting off with olwm.. On many distributions it has the
largest number of preinstalled menu options and is nice and unassuming
for newbies to X. Other suggestions would be fvwm95 or perhaps icewm.

Later on, I'd suggest you move over to wm2, but, that's just _my_
personal favourite ;).

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  |  _ |_|_' _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                    PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |