[plug] Is there a "GPL" for documents/howto's etc?

David Buddrige dbuddrige at ozemail.com.au
Sun Dec 27 23:24:44 WST 1998

Hi all,

I am writing up some basic documents aimed at completly
non-computer-literate people - that is, people who barely know what a
keyboard is, let alone Linux.

Anyway, I am wanting to open these documents up to be freely modifiable
or re-transmittable, etc, by anyone for any purpose, on the following
basic provisos:

1. That I (or anyone else) accepts no liability for their use.
2. That any modified versions of the documents must be similarly
licensed.
3. That any original authorship is noted within derivitive works (not
too fussed about this at this point but will leave this in for the
moment).

Basically what I am looking for is some kind of GPL license that is
focused more on documents rather than source code.  I want to use this
as an alternative to putting a copyright notice on the top of the
document, and also to provide a shorthand way of saying that you can't
sue me under any circumstances because of this document.

I was wondering if anyone knew if such a license / copyright scheme had
been defined anywhere?  (Saves me the trouble of doing all the lawyer
type work (I'm a geek not a lawyer)).

Ta...

David Buddrige.