[plug] Is there a "GPL" for documents/howto's etc?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Dec 28 13:49:39 WST 1998

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, David Buddrige wrote:
> I'm a geek not a lawyer

ditto, but here goes...
GPL is not an alternative to copyright. It _requires_ that you (or
someone) retain copyright, so keep that notice.

Secondly, you should put applicable warnings, but if this is free stuff,
no payment means no contract, so its pretty hard to sue (but not hard
enough :( ).

If you want people to re-distribute, just give permission in the
document. You can try asking for attribution, etc., but will it really
make any difference? Do you intend to sue people?
  Your 3 conditions are clear enough.
I hope we havent got to the stage where you need lawyers for
a simple project.

  There's not much you can do to stop plagurism anway, but where do you
draw the line between that and research?

> I was wondering if anyone knew if such a license / copyright scheme had
> been defined anywhere?  (Saves me the trouble of doing all the lawyer

Doesnt FSF have such a license?
I looked at some LDP files, and just saw copyrights, but no other legal
notes.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
For perfect happiness, remember two things:
        (1) Be content with what you've got.
        (2) Be sure you've got plenty.