[plug] Serial prining (fwd)

spice at roulette.q-net.net.au spice at roulette.q-net.net.au
Wed Jul 1 20:34:33 WST 1998

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:

> Due to a PC failure I've got to put another task onto the Linux PC -
> running an HP pen plotter.
>
> This calls for a serial port setup that will endure a plot of up to 2
> hours.  The plotter has 100 K of buffer, and I found I had to set the
> hardware handshaking timeout set to 10 minutes in Windows for Wallies to
> keep the plot going.
>
> I located the setserial command, which has a closing_wait parameter I
> set to 60000 (hundredths of seconds).  I set a :br=9600: in printcap.
>
> There are two items remaining I can't find any reference to - the
> handshaking and the communication parameters.  I was using hardware
> handshaking and the msdos standard n,8,1 parameters.  Is there something
> in unix to set up these items or should I set the plotter to some other
> value?

stty 9600 cs8 -parenb -cstopb crtscts

It is not clear to me still how the handshaking works on unix. In any
case, assume DTR in present and DTR/DSR handshake maybe 'clocal' will
help. You will need to check the man page and decide for yourself which
options you need.

Usually, in Unix the terminal port must be held open for settings to
stick. That is, one sets these every time a job kicks of. It may be
different in Linux. I haven't had to set it up.

> K.

Hope this helps!