[plug] Recommendations for a new PC and dust filters on cases (fwd)

spice at roulette.q-net.net.au spice at roulette.q-net.net.au
Wed Jul 1 20:36:35 WST 1998

Hello fellow plugers

I'm buying new PC and would like some advice from you all.
I mainly want to use the PC for word processing, spreadsheets
and some calculations (C program under linux). I'm on a tight
buget...actually my parents are on a tight buget! I already
have some speakers and a modem so I can save some money there
and I'm not looking for earth shattering sound or graphics as I
don't play any games.
Anyhow I have been quoted on the following 4 systems.

What I would like to know is:
1)	Which system represents the best value for money?
2)	Does linux (Redhat 5 & 5.1) support AGP cards?
3)	Will linux have any problems with any of the mentioned hardware?
4)	how does a K6 and K6-II compare to a pentiumII?
5)	in system I does "AMD K6 266 MMX @ 3x100Mhz" mean the cpu
	is overclocked and what are the consequences if it is?

System I
	- AMD K6 266 MMX @ 3x100Mhz
	- FIC VA-503+ socket 7 &AGP (100Mhz FSB)
	- 32MB SDRAM PC100 8ns (100Mhz)
	- 3.2Gb Quantum Fireball SE Ultra DMA
	- S3 Virge DX 3D 2MB Video Card
	- 24x CDROM
	- 1.44 FDD
	- 16 bit Yamaha sound card
	- MACASE high mini case WITH dust filter*
	- 15" phillips monitor
	- honeywell keyboard
	- MS imtellimouse
	- no software.
cost $1778

System II
	- Pentium II 233
	- Asustek Super LX motherboard
	- 32 MB EDO Ram
	- 3.2 GB UDMA HDD
	- 4MB Virge vidio card (PCI)
	- 15" Digital MPRII Monitor
	- Minitower case, 1.44 FDD
	- 104 win95 keyboard & mouse
	- 32x CDROM
	- 16bit sound card, 120W speakers
	- no software
cost $1720

System III
	- AMD K6-II 266 3D Mhz
	- TMC 100Mhz AGP mainboard
	- 4GB Quantum UDMA HDD
	- 32MB SDRAM (66Mhz)
	- GCT intel i740 AGP 8MB SVGA card
	- 32x CDROM
	- Yamaha 16 bit sound card
	- Hyundia 15" monitor
	- Windows 98
	- Keyboard & mouse
costs $1754

System IV
	- AMD K6-II 300 3D Mhz
	- TMC 100Mhz AGP mainboard
	- 4GB Quantum UDMA HDD
	- 32MB SDRAM (100Mhz)
	- GCT intel i740 AGP 8MB SVGA card
	- 32x CDROM
	- Yamaha 16 bit sound card
	- Hyundia 15" monitor
	- Windows 98
	- keyboard & mouse
costs $1854

Thanks in advance for any advice
Brett Manners

PS  for those of you talking about reversing your power supplies
to pressurise the case and putting a filter over the fan, system I above
had a case with a built in filter. The mini-tower had a "grill" about 8"x8"
on the bottom of the front cover, behind the grill was a filter like the
ones in air conditioning systems and behind the filter was the power
supply. The grill could swing open to remove the filter for cleaning.