[plug] Openlook

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Jul 3 07:56:44 WST 1998

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Mike Holland wrote:

> Ignoring my earlier commenst about Openlook,
> Whatever happened to it?
> A friend wanted a simple text-editor, and i suggested "textedit",
> but its gone from current Linux dist's. No '/usr/openwin'.
>   Has the X-consortium, or Xfree86 dropped openlook/openwin/xview ?
> I cant even find it on sunsite.
Never heard of it but...
ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/unix/X11/local/contrib/xview-3.2/contrib/textedit.tar.gz
and
ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/ftp/disk2/WinSite/win95/misc/textedit.zip

> And, what is a good simple editor? (He mentioned something called
> "notepad" as an example.)

I've always used vim But the vi book from oreilly is very useful. It's
getting quite nice with the latest rpms (you need two) from sunsite with
its gui front end. Includes keyworkd highlighting for dozens of file
types, matches opening and closing punctuation marks (across lines too).

Cheers John Summerfield http://os2.ami.com.au/os2/ for OS/2 support.