[plug] smbfs + 2.1 kernels

Gavin Tweedie tweedie at nw.com.au
Sat Jul 4 13:25:15 WST 1998

> Well, someone has to ask the stupid questions, so here goes:
> What version of mount/smbmount _are_ you using?
mount: mount-2.7l
smbmount: Version 2.0.1
(both latest releases)

> What is suggested in the /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes of your
> kernel version?
nil, requires mount-2.7l or better (there is no better so this has to be
it)
smbmount there are no recommendations..

> If you upgraded mount/smbmount because of the above file, what does
> /usr/doc/smb/changes or equivalent suggest?
didnt need to upgrade either, were installed by rh5.1 install initially.
> What commandline are you using?
usage: smbmount //server/service mount-point [options]
and i use..
smbmount //galaxy/c /mnt/galaxy -I 10.1.10.2 -U gav
which is correct, as I have used smbmount a long time agon on a 2.0.29 I
think.

> Or are you using distribution-provided wrapper scripts?
nope, running the binary directly.

> What does the smbmount man page think of your commandline?
says im great and i know what im doing :)

> Does the problem happen in the transition from 2.0 to 2.1, or between 2.1
> minor releases?
I'm not sure, but seeing as it wasnt working on 2.1.85 2.1.92 2.1.100 or
2.1.108 I presume its the devel series, hence this email asking how to
make it work on the 2.1.x series :)

> That's all the silly questions i can think of, perhaps the answers to
> these will point the way to what the problem is?
Maybe..maybe not..I would think most people here are probably running the
2.0 series so they wouldnt have seen this problem, and therefore cant help
me. Maybe I'll have to live with using smbclient till 2.2.0 arrives

Gavin