[plug] Dumb questino on networking

John Darrington j.darrington at student.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jul 7 15:17:39 WST 1998

I have the opportunuty to replace a NT box with a linux machine, if I
can gt it working as a gateway, QUICKLY.

I sugessted a talk on this some time ago.  Somebody ( I cant remember
who) , said that it was so trivial that it was unneccesary.
As it is so trivial, I know that no-one will mind answering this.

ppp is no problem.  Ethernet is no problem.  But I dont understand the finer point
of network routing.  Yes, I have compiled the kernel with
gateway support.  And I have set up all the routes in the table.

Here is the table:

Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags MSS    Window Use Iface
203.7.224.8     *               255.255.255.255 UH    1500   0        0 ppp0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     1500   0        1 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     3584   0        1 lo
default         203.7.224.8     *               UG    1500   0        6 ppp0

WIN95 machines can connect to the linux box, but when trying to connect
to the world,  no reply is received.  The linux box can connect to the world,
so it has to be a forwarding/gateway problem.

How can I find out where all the IP packets which are comming in through
eth0 are going to?  They are certainly not going to the ppp0
like they ought to.  I have never done this before , and I have never used WIN95
either anyone know how to find out what's going on?

John