[plug] Dumb questino on networking

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Wed Jul 8 10:21:33 WST 1998

My 2 bob's worth . .

The reason Gary says you need to proxy or masquerade is that your PPP IP
number is completely different from your LAN address.

In my case I have the subnet 159.207.52.x of a Class B address space
159.207.x.x, and a leased line to the rest of the network, so my router
(at 159.207.52.1) does not need to do any virtualisation of IP
addresses, if that's the right expression.  I actually have a 3Com
router, but a Linux PC should do the same job.

K.