[plug] Dumb questino on networking

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Jul 9 09:37:30 WST 1998

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, The Thought Assassin wrote:

> He's objecting to this bit:

> > > PPP IP
>
> because it appears to imply that there should be some relationship between
> the IP addresses on your router's PPP interface and it's LAN interface.
> As if they needed to be on the same subnet or something, when actually,
> they can be any two valid IPs you wish - or even the same IP.

Or, perhaps more clearly, your quote above implies to me that if a server
had 2 ip addresses that are totally different you have to masquerade
eg. if a server has 203.30.239.3 and 202.61.222.62, where 203.30.239.3 is
the "internet" side and 202.61.222.62 is the "local" side, you would need
to masquerade for machines in the 202.61.222.* range.

However, this is not the case, or at least not if 202.61.222.* has been
routed through to you - you can just forward the IPs on, no need for
masquerading.
(I actually run a machine with both these IP addresses, albeit on 2
ethernet cards rather than ethernet & ppp, with the subnet
202.61.222.0/26 routed to it, and it handles the Networx 56k dialins)

However, if that subnet isn't routed through to you, then you will need to
masquerade to get it to work, however you would be far better off using
the 192.168.X.X or 10.X.X.X numbers instead.

HTH

 - Matt Kemner
System Administrator/BOFH        "An NT server can be run by an idiot,
Networx Internet                  and usually is."
(08) 9 345 3377                            -- emsi at it.pl