[plug] Dumb questino on networking

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Thu Jul 9 09:05:50 WST 1998

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> Aren't we both saying the same thing here?  I didn't point out that
> 192.168. is the "public LAN" range, but the fact remains that the LAN IP
> addresses have to be mapped to internet addresses in this scenario which
> is why masq or proxy is required, whereas in my case the router only
> needs to determine what to pass through.
> Have I missed your point or did I not put mine clearly enough?

He's objecting to this bit:

> > On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> > > The reason Gary says you need to proxy or masquerade is that your
> > PPP IP
> > > number is completely different from your LAN address.

because it appears to imply that there should be some relationship between
the IP addresses on your router's PPP interface and it's LAN interface.
As if they needed to be on the same subnet or something, when actually,
they can be any two valid IPs you wish - or even the same IP.
HTH,

-Greg