[plug] Disaster

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Thu Jul 16 07:52:56 WST 1998

> I deleted a partition with OS/2 fdisk and it seems it closed up the
> partition table with the result that Linux got thoroughly confused.
>
> The bottom line is that a 1.1 Gb partition containing around 800 Mb now
> has a partition type 00.

Grab the Slakware boot/root disks, boot off them and you should have
access to "good old Linux fdisk". List the partion table, write it down
and then reconstruct the partition table. Providing the start/end of each
partition doesn't change you should be safe, even if the partition changes
slots...

> About the only way I see to backup the data is to buy a new HDD. So the
> question arises,
>
> Does Linux have any problems with EIDE disks > 8 Gb or so?

At this size, start looking at SCSI (more a performance issue, I know all
about the price difference - ouch!)

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"