[plug] [Plug] Print server setup query

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Thu Jul 16 21:09:45 WST 1998

Hi,

I've just 'converted' to Linux. "Just" being I started using it a week
ago and converted being I have one machine running it but my
primary box is Windoze95.

I have had the opportunity of turning my old clunker P166 at work
into a Linux box and I want to try to use it in a way that might
encourage a twist of departmental policy away from the increasing
reliance of NT.

Currently it is running as an unofficial departmental intranet server. I
am hoping I can develop it into a worthwhile resource so that the
manager will agree to an official status for it.

My aim is to run it as a print server as well as web server. Beyond
that... I'll have to see as my experience grows.

OK, enough of the history.

I've been following discussions here for a couple of weeks and now
would like to ask the newbie questions.

1. I've noticed that a lot of the messages to this list have subjects
prefixed with "[plug]". Is this a convention or do I look silly
emulating it?

2. Currently I'm running Redhat 4.2 on a P166 with 32Mb RAM and
around 2Gb HD with 64Mb as swap. No other partitions. This
machine is linked to the lan and everything is running smoothly.

I intend to move up to Redhat 5.1 next week for no reason other
than it doesn't matter if the box is offline for an indefinite time.
Once this is up and running I will get Apache working again and
would like to run a Brother HL-10h printer from it. Please don't
shudder, I know it is a shocking printer but it doesn't do the high
volume stuff.

What would I have to do to get the box running as a print server for
a few Win95 machines?

I am prepared to experiment so any options would be appreciated. I
figure it will be a good place to start as I don't know enough to work
with yet.

Sorry about the length of the message, I'll be more concise in
future.

Cheers,
Damion.

--