[plug] [Plug] Print server setup query

Adrian Blockley blockley at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jul 16 23:42:09 WST 1998

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Damion Hill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just 'converted' to Linux. "Just" being I started using it a week
> ago and converted being I have one machine running it but my
> primary box is Windoze95.

Certainly not a decision I've regreted - I've been using linux for nearly
2 years now and find I use W*95 less and less.

> I have had the opportunity of turning my old clunker P166 at work
> into a Linux box and I want to try to use it in a way that might
> encourage a twist of departmental policy away from the increasing
> reliance of NT.

> Currently it is running as an unofficial departmental intranet server. I
> am hoping I can develop it into a worthwhile resource so that the
> manager will agree to an official status for it.
>
> My aim is to run it as a print server as well as web server. Beyond
> that... I'll have to see as my experience grows.
.
.
.

> I intend to move up to Redhat 5.1 next week for no reason other
> than it doesn't matter if the box is offline for an indefinite time.
> Once this is up and running I will get Apache working again and
> would like to run a Brother HL-10h printer from it. Please don't
> shudder, I know it is a shocking printer but it doesn't do the high
> volume stuff.
>
> What would I have to do to get the box running as a print server for
> a few Win95 machines?

You need to run samba.  There is a redhat rpm that contains all you need.
Make sure you get the latest update from redhat as their older versions
had a security hole.  Samba will allow you to share printers and disks
with your windoze boxes.

> I am prepared to experiment so any options would be appreciated. I
> figure it will be a good place to start as I don't know enough to work
> with yet.
>
> Sorry about the length of the message, I'll be more concise in
> future.
>
> Cheers,
> Damion.

Cheers