[plug] Sendmail, etc

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 20 10:56:33 WST 1998

> AFAIK sendmail, as its name implies, can be used only to send mail.  It
can't
> be used (directly) to fetch mail.  For that, I use - surprise, surprise -
> fetchmail.  The Costales & Allman book, although large is well laid out,
with
> a tutorial section at the front which is about 1/3 of it.  If you take
time
> to work through it, sendmail becomes less of a mystery.  It is still
bloody
> difficult to comprehend a fully featured sendmail.cf file though!

Not so! Since the main mail handling software for the entire Internet is
sendmail, that's *extremely* unlikely. In fact, in the UK the entire
Linux/UNIX community uses Sendmail to get email from ISPs - anything else
is a rarity. The insistance of Fetchmail over here is something that I
still find bizarre.

> The only way sendmail could be used to retrieve mail, is if you had your
> own domain name assigned, and asked your ISP to forward mail to you,
through
> their mail exchanger.

Not so either.

Paul